Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rock Week: Top 4 Performances

So this week HAS to be good, right? It's the top FOUR! :-)

Well... the show starts off with Ryan breaking some interesting news. First of all... there was not a proper rehersal tonight. First thing I thought of was the day I went to the live show and there were all the people there for the dress rehersal... and if I would have been there tonight with tickets for the dress rehersal and it didn't happen, I would have been HEART BROKEN!

Next up... Ryan tells us the performers will be singing duets?!?! Really??? an Idol first to sing duets NOT during the finals. This should be interesting.

Next we get to see the video package about Slash. Slash talks??? Really? I guess I never heard him speak... just play guitar. It will be interesting to see what he has to say about the contestants. To me it seems like people like Slash and Jamie Foxx would almost consider themselves "above" American Idol... so I find it interesting that they are mentoring this season.

So we start the night off with...

Adam Lambert- "A Whole Lotta Love"
Was there any question that Adam was not going to knock this one out of the park? We knew from semi's singing "Satisfaction" that Adam's voice lends itself well to this. I do have to say that I never expected to hear Zeppelin on Idol ever... and if anyone was going to do it, I'm glad it was Adam. He did it justice. And Compared to other weeks, I think it actually was a little less "over the top"... which was good. It was more subdued.... resting more on vocals than performance. Like Paula said, Adam is a whole lotta perfect. Vocals are flawless. He is at a whole different level than the other three remaining singers.

Allison Iraheta- "Cry Baby"
Allison really turned my opinions of her around last week (enough for me to rank her first!) so will she keep it going tonight? Well.... hmmm.... At first the song choice seemed logical, but I agreed with Randy that it may not have been good for her. The lower register and verses were kinda boring, but her voice shined during the chorus. Too bad the only lyrics in the chorus are "Cry, cry baby".... Would have liked to hear a bit more in her higher register. My favorite part of Allison's segment was during her judging when she said she didn't want to sing Piece of My Heart because "it has been done on the show so many times...". WHAT?!?! Since when did singing songs that have been done on the show a million times influence your song choice Allison? It certainly didn't for the first 90% of the competition!

"Renegade"- Kris Allen & Danny Gokey
Simon says Danny was better than Kris? NO WAY! Kris's sound lent itself so much better to that song. I definitely didn't think it was a great performance by either to be honest.... but I think this performance did expose Danny's vulerability... he looked uncomfortable with this sort of song if you ask me. Not that it is a surprise. If it was gospel week he would have looked like Adam up there.

Kris Allen- "Come Together"
It's interesting what Kris did with this song, taking the rhythym and slowing it down a couple beats.... It definitely gave it a true rock vibe. I hate to buy into Kara's overusage of the term this season, but Kris did have some good rock "swagger" with this performance. It shows that he is mulit-faceted in my opinion. He can come out and sing a gentle poppy tune and win all the ladies over.... or he can come out a bit harder and rock it. I liked it... and do give him props for still playing guitar this week. I feel bad because the judges comments seem like they are setting him up for elimination this week... and I truly believe that he doesn't deserve to go home yet. He's the most current of all four. I felt bad to see the dejected look on Kris's face... because he's had way too many good weeks to feel bad about this week. I just hope it wasn't the nail in his coffin.

Danny Gokey- "Dream On"
WHY did the crowd like this or go crazy for him??? The first part was OK.... I'll give him that much. but the end was HORRIBLE! The scream sounded like a mixture of Gollum from Lord of the Rings and the Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz (especially at the end when she's melting). I'm glad that Simon called him out on it. But I'm glad that Danny sang this song because he showed that he is NO WHERE near as good as Adam. You all know that if Adam would have performed Dream On that he would have hit that end note with perfection. If this is a singing competition, then we need to reward the singers... and Danny clearly couldn't sing that song. If you're gonna pick Dream On, you know you have to hit that note. Your bad, Danny.

"Slow Ride"- Allison Iraheta and Adam Lambert
Definitely an interesting song choice. I expected more of a glam rockish song choice, instead of this harder song.... but it worked for them. The thing that made this duet better than the other is that they actually had chemistry together. They worked to sing this song together... unlike Kris and Danny who were just each singing their own parts. Adam and Allison looked good and sang good. I'm actually looking forward to seeing them perform together on the tour now.


This week's ranking:
1. Adam Lambert
2. Allison Iraheta
3. Kris Allen
4. Danny Gokey

Who's going home: Yikes... here's where it gets tough everyone. Well... we know one thing... Adam is safe. He's not going home. Now the other three is kinda a toss up. We know Allison's fanbase isn't as strong as others because she's been in the bottom more than another other contestant left. Now with Danny, he was easily the worst of the night, but he's NEVER been in the bottom... so clearly he does have the fanbase. Kris has consistently done well until being in the bottom three last week... and we know he has the female fanbase (Tweens and Cougars always vote!) And I think any female fanbase that Matt Giraud may have had before would get transferred over to Kris.... So this is really really tough. I truly believe that it will come down to a couple thousand votes.

My hope is that it will be Danny.... and the signs are pointing to Kris... but my gut is saying Allison because she's been in the bottom three so many other times. I guess we will have to wait and see!


Now... to end this post... I'll leave you with a good laugh. Enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6wiYAJjaGo

4 comments:

  1. OMG, Matt! This was a good show tonight! LOL I agree with you wholeheartedly about Danny. I mean what was he thinking? As soon as Ryan announced he was doing that song right before the commercial break I was like, "Oh, noooooo!" Then when I heard him sing the song...and the scream at the end, I'm like, "Oh noooooooooo, Danny, no!" LOL He was terrible! I kept thinking back to Micheal Johns's flawless performance of the song last year. Okay, I've gotta comment on the Allison & Adam duet. Do they compliment each other, or what?! They were awesome up there! Smart Choice of the producers to pair them up. I said at the end of last Wednesday's show that Adam was going to "kill it" this week! OMG I was so impressed. Okay, I pray that America will please, please send Danny home this week and not Kris. Oh, and I gotta say, I'm a Cougar and I never voted for Kris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam is COMPLETELY overdone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to add this...just for the record. Just because Danny has never been in the bottom 3 doesn't mean he's been consistently good. He's been driving down a bumpy road on American Idol...just been lucky enough not to have any "head-on collisions" if you know what I mean. Yeah, I liked him in the begining, but then he got boring. I think it's past time for him to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going to say anything about Adam becuase you know how I feel about him.

    What was Allison thinking when she said that she wasn't thinking of a Queen song??? She said so in her video! Also, I thought she was ehh at best.

    Kris pleasantly surprised me. I didn't think he was going to do so well. Danny.......... it was the first week I didn't vote for him. The screaming part was AWFUL!!!!!

    I thought the duets were interesting. Simon was right- Danny and Kris rocked their harmonies. I wish Allison and Adam had done more of that when they sang. As far as who's going home, I think all of them except Adam could go home for different reasons. What about the possibility of Adam's fans not voting because they think he's safe? Look at what happened to Chris on Season 5...

    ReplyDelete