Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Rat Pack Week: Top 5 Performances

It's down to business now... we go from seven to five, and that is a huge cut. I was super sad to find out earlier today that the contestants were only going to sing one song. Every other season they sing two songs at this point in the show. Supposedly the producers were afraid that the show would go long again if they tried to do ten songs in an hour (shoulda thought about that when you added a fourth judge!). Anyway.... let the reviews begin!

Kris Allen- "The Way You Look Tonight"
Kris got some mad crazy props from Jamie Foxx! That's for sure. Not really sure if I agree.... but must have been cool to hear that from a superstar. Someone else I don't agree with is Randy.... saying that this was Kris's best performance all season!!! Seriously Randy?!?! This performance wasn't even close to "Ain't No Sunshine" or "Falling Slowly". Honestly, I think this is one of Kris's weakest weeks. The song had some pitchy parts to it, and frankly it was kind of boring. I really like Kris when he mixes stuff up and does his acoustic, poppy versions of songs. When he does that, it makes him a relevant artist. Tonight, I think he got lost in trying to be something he's not. I agree with Kara that Kris is a "dark horse" in the competition. If anyone can steal the 2nd place slot from Danny, it's Kris. I certainly hope he does.... but he's not going to with performances like this.

Allison Iraheta- "Someone To Watch Over Me"
So its no surprise reading my past blogs that I'm not a fan of Allison. During Kara's critique she said that Allison won over some new fans tonight... and I AGREE 100%! Tonight she won me over BIG TIME!. It was the first week that her interview didn't annoy me.... and then she comes out on stage (looking the best she's looked all season) and gives a flawless performance. I partly agree with Randy's comment that it sounded a bit like Pink (but disagree when he said "but you had 7,000 more octives"... Pink has an amazing range, Randy!) This week is really a turning point for me with Allison. For the first time, she made me think that she deserves to be at this level of competition. And... I'm actually looking forward to downloading this from iTunes. With it getting down to just a few contestants left, we all know that there are a few contestants "on the brink" of elimination (and their names are not Adam or Danny). Being at risk, Allison needed to do something amazing tonight.... and she did. Hands down.

Matt Giraud- "My Funny Valentine"
Oh Matt.... Matt Matt Matt Matt MATT! This was the big week for you! If you make top four, then Idol gets to come to Kalamazoo! And how cool would that be. Well... I'm sorry to say, for the hometown boy, that I don't think Idol will be making the trip to Michigan this year. The song was SUPER pitchy. When he was in the low register, it was... well... bad. The final note was REALLY good... but it wasn't enough to win over the whole performance. I agree with Randy that he picked the hardest song of the night. The range of that song is fierce... but unfortunately I think it exposed that Matt's range is not. Usually I'm on Simon's side.... but tonight, I disagree that Matt's performance was "brilliant". It left me wanting more. A lot more.

Danny Gokey- "Come Rain or Come Shine"
OK.... so its not a word I like to use to critique people often.... but tonight, out loud to the TV, I called Danny a "douche". He is! He has this cocky sense of entitlement that is turning me completely off. I can't even look at his face anymore. That cocky smile of his is smiliar to a painted on smile of a scary-looking clown. Ewww! And... I love that during his pre-interview with Jamie that he said he "wasn't going to change it up much"..... hmmm... maybe because you NEVER do Danny. Bring me something interesting just once, please. Kara said that the ending was the most creative he's been all season.... well that doesn't take much! This performance was oversung just like most of his previous performance. I'm so ready for Danny to go home.... but unfortunately, there are enough dumb Americans out there that he's not going home anytime soon.

Adam Lambert- "Feelin' Good"
OK... so historically, this song is one of those "kiss of death" songs. If you look back at contestants who have sang this in the past... they have gotten eliminated. But this time, there is NO WAY Adam will be leaving. Let's talk song choice: PERFECT fit for Adam. Performance: Fun with the entrance on the stairs. Vocals: What we come to expect from Adam. Overall.... this is another great performance from Adam. It hasn't topped a few others as his best in my mind, but consistently great. I'm excited for next week when the Idols will sing TWO songs so I can hear him twice in one night. Once is not enough!

This week's ranking:
1. Allison Iraheta (I know folks... shocker!)
2. Adam Lambert
3. Kris Allen
4. Danny Gokey
5. Matt Giraud

Who will be in the bottom two: Matt & Kris, I think.... Danny & Adam are too strong, and Allison did too well tonight (not to mention she's the only girl left... so any "girl power" votes will go to her).

Who will go home: The judges saved him two weeks ago... and American saved him last week. This week, I think it will take a miracle to save him. As sad as it will be to see the Kalamazoo boy leave... I think its hasta la vista Matt.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! I love to read your posts but I must say that the week we do not agree at all except for maybe on Matt Giraud. He is my bottom choice. While I have not been a Danny fan all season last night gave me chills. I LOVED IT! And of course as always Adam rocked my world. I liked Allison's performance but to be honest I have already forgot what song she sang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not done with the coffee yet....forgotten : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. If anyone else performs like Danny, it would be pretentious or... i can't remember the word they like to use for it. oh yeah, INDULGENT.
    But with Danny they say it's "Swagger"
    Gimme a break!!!
    -James

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you again son, EXCEPT, I still like Kris. But sadly enough I do think Matt will come home to Michigan this week. Voted for the full 2 hours last night and got in WAY TOO MANY times for him. After tonight my votes will switch to Kris. Adam still does one thing that REALLY turns me off. Whenever he hits a really high note he sticks his tongue out! EWEEEEE! Its like "open up and say awwwww!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to see that I'm not the only one that feels that way about Danny! Unfortunately, here in the cheese state, they are dedicated through and through! I would love to see him go home, but I'm afraid it's the end for Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhhhh, ya know....my mom asks me who I think is going home tonight. She thinks Matt is going home, everyone here thinks Matt is going home, but I don't want him to go. I love Matt, I think he's awesome and I think it means something that he was saved in the last 2 weeks, no matter who it was by. I told her I wanted tonight's eliminee to be Kris, but as weeak as MG's performance was last night...I gotta say I have fear for him tonight. Matt E, you're usually right about the eliminees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely loved Kris last night. Completely agree about Allison- she nailed it! I thought Matt completely oversang his song, and I feel like it's the end of the road for him. Danny, I thought, nailed it. I thought the one part near the end was a little off, but I like it! And Adam... once again I say you either like it or you don't and I don't.

    Glad to have you back, Matt!

    ReplyDelete