Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Songs From The Year You Were Born Week: Top 8 Performances

Figures.

Twice this season my DVD hasn't worked correctly.

Then... the night when EVERYONE'S DVR across America effs up, and my DVR actually worked and taped the whole thing! Miracles do happen folks. :-)

I didn't get to watch the show last night or vote... because I was at a conference for work, but luckily I got to catch up on it this morning and on my lunch hour. :-) Here's my take on last night.


Danny Gokey- "Stand By Me"
OK... this is one of the things that bugs me so much about themes when there is a year involved. DON'T PICK A REMAKE! "Stand By Me" was not from the year you were born. In my opinion, Danny's a cheater. Overall though... he sang it well... but we know he can sing it well. This week I give him another "Meh." Nothing exciting. Same old Danny.

Kris Allen- "All She Wants To Do Is Dance"
I agree with the judges that this song doesn't do very much melodically. It's very one-toneish. I didn't like him in the crowd either. Kris was someone who was slowly building momentum... and starting to build himself a strong place in this competition. I think with this performance he stopped his forward motion. I don't think its enough to get him eliminated... but it certainly means he has to worth THAT much harder next week.

Lil Rounds- "What's Love Got To Do With It"
It was actually pretty humorous to me because it was the first time since Lil's been in the finals that after she was done I actually liked the performance. Then the judges hated it. LOL. It didn't blow me away, but I did think it was a very good vocal, and it felt pretty natural... not like she was trying to be someone she's not (a`la Celine last week with that unconfortable dress and equally uncomfortable weave!) I thought she looked good... and sounded good. Because of the judges pans of it... and the fact that Americans are sheep and they follow the herder (the judges)... we could see Lil appear in the bottom three tonight.

Anoop Desai- "True Colors"
I give Anoop props for taking a song that is a female signature song and giving it his touch. I still was pretty bored though. I guess Adam is really spoiling me this season... he's so exciting that in comparison he makes plain vocalists (albiet good vocalists) seem boring. Let's face it. Anoop is going home in the next few weeks. This could be the week.

Scott MacIntyre- "The Search Is Over"
Scott with an electric guitar? AWK-WARD! It wasn't a complete mess... but you can definitely tell that he's more comfortable behind the piano. I think it may have something to do with sitting too... it just looked odd to have Scott standing while performing. I don't mean to be rude... (Simon's famous line...) but let's be real about Scott's song choice. A song that features the lyrics "Now I look into your eyes... I can see forever... The search is over you were with me all the while".... it was a bit uncomfortable for me. I do give him props for not singing one of the biggest hits of his birth year though... the predicatble "You're The Inspiration" by Chicago... I thought he was a shoe-in for that one.

Allison Iraheta- "I Can't Make You Love Me"
AAARRGHH! Allison! Why do you always pick songs that have been done over and over on Idol... and done WELL by previous Idols. This song has been performed in three previous seasons of Idol, and in my opinion, most well-done by Season 2's Kimberley Locke. It's like when she picked "Alone" by Heart... from the start I was hating it. She needs to pick different songs. She's talked about what a fan of the show she is, so she has to know these songs have been performed numerous times. In fact, 2/3rds of her songs are repeats... including all three of the last songs. Errr.... I'm sorry Allison... but you can't me me love you.

Matt Giraud- "Part Time Lover"
First of all... I love the shirt in the audience that said "The Giraud Squad". I WANT ONE! :-) Second of all... I think Matt looked the best he's looked all season. GREAT look! The song choice was pretty spot-on too. I like that he started slow and then sped it up. Towards the end I was getting a little over all the runs.... but at this point he's got to show his chops or he'd gonna be called boring and be sent home. I know that the show was running late, so the judges didn't have time to comment much... but I was surprised that they didn't say anything about him not being behind the piano/keyboard. Unlike Scott, I don't think it was awkward at all for Matt. He did a good job... almost to the point where you forgot about it.

Adam Lambert- "Mad World"
Adam is a production team's dream come true. When he picks songs like he does, and performs them in the way he does, it's easy for Idol's production to stage him well, and they did that again last night. The dark stage with bright blue lights on him were super dramatic, and the perfect fit for that song. At first, the glare was so much it almost looked like he was sitting on a glowing box! Adam is just such a professional. Whether it is a demure performance, or one where he's rocking all over the stage... he does everything with professionalism. If you notice... after each of his performances he turns around and thanks Ricky Minor and the band. A true professional. AND... can I just say that I LOVED his look last night! For once, it didn't seem too "put-on". It seemed natural... like if he was going to the movies or the mall he'd look that way... and I think he looked the best he's looked all season. Was it my favorite performance of his? No. Hard to be "Tracks of My Tears" and "Black or White".... but it was still great... and WAY better than the competition.


This weeks ranking:
1. Adam Lambert
2. Matt Giraud
3. Kris Allen
4. Lil Rounds
5. Anoop Desai
6. Allison Iraheta
7. Danny Gokey
8. Scott MacIntyre

Who should be in the bottom three? Scott for sure... and in my opinion, Danny (for not doing anything creatively...) and Allison (for singing over-sung songs).

Who will be in the bottom three? This is a tough one to call this week. Scott for sure... but other than Scott I think it could be Lil.... and maybe even Kris... simply because the judges slammed both of them. The other two in addition to Scott will be two of the following: Lil, Kris, Allison or Anoop.

Who's going home?: Scott... It's your time buddy. One thing is good about your departure this week. You will always have someone to blame: PAULA. She's the one that told you to get out from behind the piano.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...Adam did really well. I might buy his song from itunes. And I agree that Matt looked hot. After seeing him in person all I can think is how much he looks like JT now!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete