Thursday, March 18, 2010

Finally. America Gets It Right. (Top 12 Results Show Recap)

Can I get a Hallejulah up in here?  (like a praise-the-lord hallejulah, not a Tim-Urban-singing-"Hallejulah")... America finally gets something right.  After last week, we needed a week like this so that we all didn't lose hope in this process. 

But anyway... let's talk about some other parts of the show before we get to eliminations.

At the top of the show, Ryan and Simon have some awkward conversation about their banter the week before.  Ryan approaches Simon at the judges desk and Simon tells him that he is getting too close and it is making it uncomfortable.  Simon asks Ryan "do you want to do my job?"... Ryan replies "I'm happy with my job".  This whole thing is just dumb to me.  It's all put on and fake.  But... I do somewhat agree with Ryan's statement last night that Simon should really try to give more constructive criticism.  But anyway...

David Cook performs a Rolling Stones song... Jumpin' Jack Flash.  Wasn't that some movie from the 80's with Whoopi Goldberg?  Speaking of 80's.... the only thing interesting about the performance was David's odd new hairstyle.  You know in the 80's and 90's when girls have themselves that big poofball in the front using lots of hairspray and a blow dryer?  It almost seemed like David was doing the reverse of that, as he had this awkward poofball on the back of his head. 

David announces he has a new album that he can't wait to get out.  While watching him, I can't help but think back to his season and realize how boring Season 7 was too.  I mean the final four were David, Archie, Syesha and Jason Castro?  Snoooooze....  Maybe I was just so energized over Adam Lambert making things so interesting last season that other things just pale in comparison.  Probably a strong reason why I am so bored with this season too (even though I still love it... lol). 

Orianthi performs her song "According to You".  Meh.  Nothing special.  In fact at times she was pitchier than most contestants this season!  I was hoping for more but it was just... well... meh.

Ke$ha performs her hit "Blah Blah Blah" with 3OH!3.  As Simon says "Just Boo me now and get it out of the way".... some of you probably hate Ke$ha... but I just think she's fun.  This performance wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  When this song comes on, I can't help but dance around a bit.  Something you might not all know is that this performance shows the "magic of television".  If you looked around the stage while it was going on, none of the contestants were sitting on the couches, and none of the judges were in their seats.  This is because Ke$ha's performance was actually taped at the dress rehersal of the show and then edited in to make it look like it happened live.  A fun tidbit I learned when I went to an Idol taping last season.  :-)

Also tonight, it is revealed that "the judges' save" will be in play again this season.  I was wondering if they were going to bring it back again.  Nothing had been mentioned thus far.  Personally, I wonder if they were NOT going to bring it back, and then after last week's farce they decided they needed an insurance policy to ensure they don't lose any other contestants.  I mean... they pretty much need the judges' save just for Crystal, because they know that if they lose Crystal this season will go right into the crapper. 

OK... so on to the eliminations.  Just to recap my predictions, I thought the bottom three would consist of Didi (because she sang so early on in the show, and may have been forgotten), Andrew (because hopefully American is over him like I am over him) and Lacey (because she was the worst of the night...).

The first name Ryan calls is Paige.  Boom.  Paige is in the bottom three.  Although not predicted, I am OK with this.  Going down the line, the next person is Lee.  Lee is safe.  Now at this point they skip over Andrew and Tim and go to Siobhan.  The fact they skipped those two means something.  Siobhan is safe... and so is Aaron.  This leaves Andrew and Tim on the top couch and Ryan asks both of them to stand up.  Now... I never thought I would ever say this... but part of me was actually rooting for Tim Urban, for the simple fact that Andrew would be in the bottom three.  Honestly though, either of them being in the bottom three is fine with me.  Ryan announces that Andrew can take a seat and that Tim is in the bottom three.

After another performance and commercial, we come back and its time to find out who the third person in the bottom is.  The first name Ryan calls is Didi.  Although it would be very unorthodox for the first person called to be in the bottom, I am still very nervous for Didi.  Thankfully, she is safe!  Next is Crystal.  We got through some unneeded conversation with her... but she does get to defend herself from Simon's comment the night before where he said she seemed like she wasn't in trouble and that she already won the compeition.  Crystal defended herself very graciously.  She said that the competition is wide open and she never feels safe.  Although I disgree with the fact that its "wide open", I appreciate her being humble and gracious.  Crystal is (of course) safe.

Next is Katie, followed by Big Mike.  They are both safe. 

This leaves Lacey and Casey.  Did they do this simply because it rhymes?  Does anyone really believe that there is a chance Casey could be in the bottom three at this point?  In my opinion there is absolutely NO chance.  And of course, I am right.  Lacey is the final person in the bottom three.

OK... so looking at the bottom three standing there... Paige, Tim and Lacey... its hard to not have flashbacks to last week and think of Katelyn, Alex and Lilly.  I still have a bitter taste in my mouth from last week.  Can't you just see Katelyn slowing down a Stones tune and playing it delicately on the baby grand?  Or Alex giving some of his crazy-weird white boy soul to a Mick Jagger vocal?  And let's be real about Lilly... that old school rock stuff is right up her alley and she could have given a unique twist on any of the songs performed last night. In my opinion tonight's bottom three all should have been home last week!  So to me... it doesn't even matter who goes home.  America got it right.  Finally. 

Ryan asks the judges if there is anyone they would consider using the judges' save on.  Simon says there is one.  REALLY?  WHO?  Out of those three?  The only person I could fathom would MAYBE be Paige... only because they keep talking about her potential... and the fact that she was sick this week.  But still... Paige will never win this competition. 

Ryan sends the first person to saftey and it is Tim.  We are left with Paige and Lacey.  The tears start flowing... and we hear that they have been roommates so it will be particularly sad. 

When the verdict comes down, America decided that it was Lacey's last performance.  Paige returns to the couches and now it is Lacey's turn to sing one more time to try to win the judges over and get them to use the judges' save.  Lacey chose to sing "The Story"... the song that she performed last week (and the only song I have ever actually liked by her).  For some reason this whole "choose what song you want to sing" thing is new to me.  I though I remembered last season for the judges' save that they just performed the song they sang the night before.  If they can pick which song they want to sing, that may change things up a bit. 

Nonetheless, Lacey performs and the judges unanimously choose to not save her.  Big surprise!  There was no way that the judges would use the save on her... or use it this early. 

So we say goodbye to Lacey.  I'm not torn up about it.  She was cute, and had a good, unique look, but thats about where it ended for me. 

Below are my new Idol contestant rankings.  Each week after the eliminations I will post a photo ranking of the contestants in my personal opinion as a culmination of their entire time on Idol.  Here it is:

1 comment:

  1. Matty, I pretty much agree with your ranking except for Siobhan is before Casey for me and Aaron is before Andrew for me because of his story and cuteness :)

    ReplyDelete