Thursday, March 11, 2010

Semi-finals: Top 8 Boys


What was up with Ryan's uber dramatic opening that was overly dramatic for no apparent reason?  It was as if he was announcing the final four contestants or something.  Hello Idol... the name announcing with dramatic pause was a big waste of time.  Can we get this show started already?

Ryan does redeem the horrible opening by finally making mention of the elephant in the room... Kara sitting on Simon's lap EVERY episode!  Of course they two of them play it off by saying that the other is leaning on them.  Whatever... I'm over it.

So like I said... can we get this started already?  Now on to the performances:

Lee Dewyze- "Fireflies":  Singing a song that is on the charts currently can be a big risk because everyone knows exactly what this song sounds like (especially this song that seems to be everywhere every five minutes).  The first think I notice is the look on Lee's face.  It could be fear... or maybe he's high?  Whatever it is, he seems like his mind is somewhere else.  As he is singing it though, I am actually really enjoying it.  He gives the song a little harder, rocker vibe and it worked.  Of all his performances so far, I think that this is his best.  I haven't really felt connected to him so far in the competition, but after tonight he is beginning to win me over.  You could tell by the big smile and sigh he let out at the end of the performance that he was actually really nervous.  You could tell at the end of the performance he was thankful it was done and he did as well as he did.  The judges seem to like it... but of course Simon has to make a comment about him not having his "wow moment".  Enough talk about the "wow moment" Simon!  Especially to someone like Lee who at this point in the competition, it doesn't matter if he has a wow moment or not.  As long as he doesn't tank (which he didnt'), he will sail through to the top 12.

Alex Lambert- "Trouble":  Alex really needs to own it tonight!  Week one he had one of the worst performances... and week two he was easily one of the best (if not THE best).  This guy's all over the place... but in order to convince American he should make the top 12, he's really gotta do well tonight.  He chooses "Trouble", and it isn't a bad choice for his voice.  One criticism is that it isn't quite as interesting or challenging... so it doesn't show off his chops (but maybe that was strategic so that it doesn't show his lack of chops).  Overall, this didn't stink.  It was decent.  Pretty middle of the road for me.    The judges thought it was OK... just lots of comments about Alex needing to relax and get rid of his nerves.  Simon makes some ridiculous comment about Randy in a bikini (like THAT is going to make him less nervous!).  With Alex, its a mixed bag... we never know what we are going to get.  At this point, I feel like he's done enough to make it to the next round though.

Tim Urban- "Hallelujah": Tim is another one that is a mixed bag.  Week one he definitely WAS the worst of everyone (and only got by on his looks. Damn you 14 year old girls with cell phones...)  Last week he was definitely better.  Still not at the top of the pack, but not a complete and utter disaster.  This week he chooses an interesting song, Hallelujah.  It's a smart choice because many people know it, and also it recently had a resurgence with Justin Timberlake's version that went for Haiti disaster relief.  The vocal isn't that bad... but what I can't get over is the cheesy factor.  Simon talked to Katelyn Epperly about being too corny... but what about this guy?  To me, he's like an Osmond... or a Partridge son.  It seemed to me like he was performing it on some 70's variety show.  This song is so heartfelt that it has to be authentic and real.  I didn't get that vibe from him.  The judges actually like it (go figure...).  Ellen likes it so much she leaves the judges table to come on stage and give him a hug.  Simon claims responsibility for Tim doing well after giving him a confidence booster.  Simon... you are awesome and all... but Tim could have BOMBED this week... and then would you have taken responsibility? 

Andrew Garcia- "Genie In A Bottle": Seriously?  Christina Aguilera?  OK... right off I feel like this is a little forced as he is trying to recreate the magic moment of "Straight Up" in Hollywood Week.  To me, it's not working.  And let's be real... of anyone watching, you would think that I would be excited about hearing Genie in a Bottle on Idol.  lol... It's just too forced.  For me, Andrew is dropping quickly.  He was easily a huge front runner at the beginning of the show... and now I'm not sold on him even making the top 8.  The judges keep talking about Straight Up OVER and OVER.... so much so that it is annoying the piss out of me.  Really it is making me like him even less.  If we have to be reminded of that performance in order to know he's a good artist, then he's not a good artist.  That is like a producer pimping other songs for a one-hit wonder artist by saying "but remember how good this was"?   "You should buy the new Lou Bega album... because do you remember how big of a hit Mambo Number Five was?".  No... I'm not buying it anymore.  It may have somewhat been Andrew's fault for setting his own bar too high, but until I can hear something of that caliber again, he has lost his ticket on my hot tamale train (what... what reality show is this again?...).

Casey James- "You'll Think Of Me":  Do I really need to say much about Casey?  I mean, unless he completey bombs tonight, he's making it through.  He's got too big of a fan base built up already.  This vocal really isn't blowing me away though.  The beginning is pretty shaky to me.  In parts, it seems like he is purposely staying safe instead of pushing his voice because he's scared it will sound bad.  No matter what, it wasn't horrible, so he'll be safe.  The judges agree with me that it is a bit safe.  They say it was better than last week... but I kinda disagree with that.  I liked the harder rock guitar that he has last week.  I think it makes him more appealing.  There are others already in the competition that sit on a stool and play acoustic guitar.  I think having Casey take that harder rock, electric guitar vibe on will bring him further in the competition.

Aaron Kelly- "I'm Already There":  Aaron really has to do well this week in my opinion.  The past few weeks he has been better than other contestants... but now those contestants have gone home.  He's on the brink of elmination.  This performance definitely isn't doing him any good.  The beginning to me sounds atrocious.  He is way off key in certain parts... and it sounds like his nerves are getting the best of him.  It just sounds very middle-school-talent-show to me.  By the very end, you can see why he was picked for the show because his top end vocals are pretty decent... but overall, this was a hot mess.  Randy agreed that his lower notes were rough.  Ellen says that it wasn't terrific (which is a big thing for her to say!... ahem... Paula... ahem).  Kara said that the song is in the 3rd person?  Ummm... isn't it 1st person?  Wouldn't 3rd person be "He's already there... take a look around him"?  I'm not an English major... but I think Kara just made another idiot mistake (can she go a single week without putting her foot in her mouth?)  Simon says her statement is "complete rubbish" and that the song was a great fit for him.  No matter what the panel wants to argue about, I personally feel like Aaron should go home tonight.  Will he?  I'm not sure... but he should.

Todrick Hall- "Somebody To Love":  Immediately when Ryan says that Todrick is singing Queen, I say outloud to the TV "can you just sing something expected for once?"  I want to hear what kind of music he would actually do as an artist.  He's not going to release Queen and Tina Turner songs.  Maybe something like "Caught Up" by Usher where he could show off some dancing skills at the same time as his vocals.  Anyway... I'll give this a shot.  He definitely is taking a risk with that high falsetto at the beginning of the song.  As the rest of the song set in, it is apparent that Todrick CAN sing.  He really can.  I think he just makes bad choices.  Some of the runs he attempted ended very flat and left me confused.  Some of the parts of this song that should be very powerful were performed boringly... and other parts were pushed too hard.  But... all this said, I have to say THANK YOU to Todrick for giving us a performance that was somewhat interesting and exciting.  After all these slow, boring songs tonight, it was at least interesting.  The judges liked it... in fact Randy says it was one of the best male vocals of the last three weeks.  Kara said he didn't know to love it or laugh at it.  (yikes...)  Simon says that Todrick told America who he is, and that is a Broadway singer.  Very true.  I think with his dance background, he could be a very successful Broadway performer.  He's already done some shows (his audition mentioned the Color Purple with Fantasia) but maybe this opportunity would allow him to be at the front of the stage intstead of a backup dancer.  Lord knows there are enough old Idol contestants performing Broadway, so its not like he'll have to bust down any doors. 

Michael Lynche- "This Woman's Work":  Taking on Maxwell is a big order.  Although Maxwell might not be known by everyone, those who are fans are FANS... so you better do it well or people will be upset.  As the song begins, its apparent that Michael has great tone for this type of song.  I personally am loving this.  I could definitely see Michael releasing music like this and being successful.  More than anyone in this competition, Big Mike is showing us who he would be as an artist in popular music.  This performance is one of those standout performances that you remember.  He had the soft, delicate, falsetto vocals and then he also had the robust, strong, powerful vocals.  In my opinion this was great!  The judges love it. Kara cries (forced... lame....) Simon calls it the best performance of the live shows so far.  I agree!  Go Big Mike!


Here is my personal ranking of the guys this week:
1. Michael Lynche
2. Lee Dewyze
3. Casey James
4. Alex Lambert
5. Todrick Hall
6. Tim Urban
7. Andrew Garcia
8. Aaron Kelly

The predictions are where it gets tough this week.  Similar to the girls, I have one person I am confident in and the second elimination is a toss up.  I am confident that this will be Aaron Kelly's week to go.  He needed a power performance and it wasn't it this week.  The last elmination is between Todrick, Alex, and Tim.  My gut is telling me that Tim is too cutesy to get eliminated.  He's got the cougar and teeny-bopper vote just like Kris Allen did last year.  I think people genuinely like Alex, so I think he may stick around as well, although I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if it was him.  That leaves Todrick, who did have a decent performance this week (or at least an interesting one)... but unlike Tim and Alex, I don't think Todrick necessarily has a niche market of voters or genuine likability.  But... out of a night of snooze-fest performances, his actually sticks out as someone who entertained us a bit.  And, he also is the last African American male in the bunch, so will that help him?  Sheesh.  I'm stuck.

OK... so call me crazy, but I'm going to go in a whole different direction with this.  I'm gonna bank on the fact that America finally feels the way that I do... and they are sick of hearing of the false promises of the "Straight Up" magic.  If Idol is baseball... a certain contestant has had three strikes... and now he's out.  I'm gonna go out on a limb, shake things up, and say that Andrew Garcia will be our second elminated contestant tonight.  I never would have thought I'd be saying this a few weeks ago... but I'm over him.  So my prediction tonight is that the elminated two will be Aaron and Andrew

Who do you think it will be?  Be sure to VOTE below!


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about the people who should go home tonight. However, I think it may be Todrick and Aaron though. I loved Tim Urban performance last night. Maybe it's just because of the song choice. I also loved Big Mike, but I hated those high notes coming out of him. It just seems so unnatural to me. Kara is such a ditz. I turned to my husband last night and asked him, "Did they slip the same drugs that Paula had into Kara's coke glass now?" I couldn't stand her last season and she still drives me nuts now. So that's just my opinions...

    ReplyDelete