Friday, March 12, 2010

Really? Seriously? You've got to be kidding, right?

OK readers... I've given myself a few hours to cool off after that episode.  I think if I would have written immediately it wouldn't have been pretty.  I know it's still three weeks before April Fool's Day... but was this a bad joke?  Sheesh... 

Let's start with the few good things that happened last night:

The group number:  Just as I predicted, the Buble` choice was "Haven't Met You Yet:" and it actually wasn't too bad.  Clearly lip synced AGAIN, which I hate... but at least it seemed as if they gave the contestants some lip sync lessons before tonight.  It was a drastic improvement over the "I Gotta Feeling" mess last week.  Plus, I can't help but love it and smile because I just watch Crystal the whole time in the group numbers.  It is obviously so painful and out-of-her-realm to do these cheesy group numbers that it makes it even more entertaining.  I appreciate her faking a smile and making it look like she's actually enjoying it, when deep down inside she's like "give me my friggin' harmonica and guitar and let me be!".

The other good thing was the performance by Matt Giraud and Scott McIntyre.  The two of them performed this duet on the Idols Live Tour last summer and I remember really enjoying it then as well.  A couple notes about it though... if the whole band is wearing sunglasses, can we get an extra pair for Scott please?  He deserves his Ray or Stevie moment.  And also... let's be real about Matt Giraud.  Hearing him tonight makes me realize just how atrocious the guys really are this season.  Matt's vocal skills easily blow every guy from this season out of the water.  And Matt was FOURTH place out of the guys last year... meaning there were (arguably) three guys better than him!  This season really is subpar.  Gosh I hope it gets better!

Now let's move on to the not-so-good things about last night... which were basically the other 90% of the whole show. 

(Let's just pause for a quick reminder of my elimination predictions after the performance shows: Paige, Lacey, Aaron and Andrew.  Ouch.  It pains me to write that again after watching.)

Ryan starts off the eliminations.  We've got 12 empty stools, and the girls are first up.  The first girl Ryan calls to the front of the stage is Didi.  I immediately get a pit in my stomach... because I'm sincerely worried for her.  Ryan and the judges talk about the consistency issue... but Didi has been consistantly good in my opinion!  Obviously America thinks so too because Didi is safe and in the top 12!  YAY!  We are off to a great start!

Siobhan is next.  That feather in her hair is annoying me.  As I said before, she's starting to win me over a bit with her performances but she annoys me when she talks.  It's so awkward that is almost seems fake.  I just want some authenticity!  It's not a surprise that Siobhan is safe.  She takes a seat next to Didi.

Next Ryan calls up Paige and Katelyn.  One is safe and one is going home.  My initial reaction is that this is great!  Katelyn has been one of my favorites so far, and even though her "I Feel The Earth Move" did not really move me... it was WAY better than Paige's "Smile" that made me frown.  Ryan goes to Simon, who says that Paige has the most potential of the two of them.  Really?  Did you hear Katelyn's version of "The Scientist" a week ago?  That was far more impressive than any of Paige's performances thus far.   Ryan finally makes the announcement and Paige is in the top 12.  WHAT?  Really?  After that HORRIBLE performance on Tuesday?  It really was the worst of the whole bunch.  I am in shock. 

Of course, as Idol always cruelly does, Katelyn now has to sing the song that essentially got her booted from the show.  Her repeat performance IS a reminder of how bad of a song choice "I Feel The Earth Move" was.  She could have picked SO many other songs and had an easy ride to the top 12.  If she would have done "The Scientist" this week, I don't think we would be seeing her go home. Remember how Simon took credit for Tim doing well this week?  Well I think Simon should take the credit (or in this case, blame) for Katelyn going home!  She specifically said that she was trying to not be "corny" as Simon had called her... and in that process she lost all her self-identity.  She needed to be comfortable being herself, corny or not, and just go with it.  I know that some people really didn't care for her, but I will honestly miss Katelyn.  In fact, I voted for her on Tuesday... that's how much I wanted her to make it through to the top 12.  I was holding out hope that she could really provide us with some momentous performances that would get her far into the show.  She had that cute Kelly Clarkson likeability that drew me in.  Sheesh....

0 for 1.  Good start. 

Now on to the guys first elimination.  Instead of calling them individually, Ryan calls up the entire back row to step forward.  This includes Tim, Todrick, Lee & Casey.   Just great!  My guy predictions will have to be incorrect too because both the guys I said would be eliminated are still sitting on the couch now.  Sheesh.  (I think "sheesh" is the keyword for tonight's episode).

First, Ryan sends Casey to a stool.  Not surprising.  In fact, out of all the guys, I feel that he was the most predictable to move on to the top 12.  Next Ryan talks to Tim, and immediately sends him to safety.  Really?  Does anyone remember "Apologize" the first week?  To think that the guy who did that performance is now in the top 12... that just floors me.  He should have been gone weeks ago.  Thank your mommy and daddy for good genes Tim, because the only thing that got you through is your looks. 

Now we are down to Todrick and Lee.  To me, this is pretty easy to predict.  It's gotta be Todrick. Although I didn't want to see him go tonight, its hard when he is up against Lee who seems to be another leader of the guys pack.  Ryan makes the announcement and I am indeed correct.  Lee is safe and Todrick is going home.  As Todrick sings "Somebody To Love" again, its hard to not think that America even got this one wrong.  Sure, I know he was at the bottom of the pack, but that performance was much more entertaining and impressive than almost all of the other guys performances last night.  At least he showed some life in the performance and moved around the stage.  Tonight, the performance seemed even better than last night.  So again, I am left with a sad feeling.  I think versus all the other vanilla in the guys group, Todrick could have brought something interesting and entertaining.  Do I think he would win the whole show?  No way... but he was good enough to last a little bit longer. 

0 for 2.  Sheesh. 

For the next two eliminations, we see the remaining 4 girls and 4 guys all out on the couches together.  First, Ryan calls up Crystal.  Let's be real.  There's no way she's going home.  Thankfully I am right. Crystal gets a seat on the stools, but doesnt' have an immediate overjoyed-ness about her.  I think maybe the stress of this night is a little much for her.  She's such a sweet person that I think its hard for her to see anyone go.  Still, this girl is more deserving of a place in the top 12 than anyone else in the studio tonight.

Then, Ryan calls up Michael.  Again... let's be real. After last night's performance there is no way he's not moving on.  Again, this is correct.  Ryan makes a jackass move and asks "can you fit on one stool?"  Are you flippin' serious Ryan?  Rude!  Is Idol managed by Southwest Airlines now? 

Ryan then calls Lacey's name.  Really?  She's not in the bottom two?  Well maybe Ryan is just playing with us and will have her sit back down.  I have confidence in that.  He asks her some question about what sort of artist she is or what songs she will sing in the competition.  Lacey responds but all I hear is Charlie Brown's teacher voice... "wah wawah wah wah wahhh"... she keeps talking.  And talking.  And talking.  SHUT UP already!  I didn't like you before and this isn't helping.  Then Ryan tells her to take a seat on the stools.  Ummm... what?  Exsqueeze me?  Baking powder?  Did I just hear that correctly?  Even if you read my review of Tuesday, you'll see that I thought she did pretty good with that performance, but over the three weeks she has been the least impressive of all the girls in my opinion.  Who is voting for her?  (Not Vote For The Worst... they are already responsible for Paige getting through).  Really?  Is there some red-head brigade out there that is trying to get her through?  Wow.  Tonight is effed up. 

Next up is Aaron.  I'm puzzled again.  Why isn't Aaron being left for the final two?  He HAS to be going home out of him, Alex and Andrew... right?  WRONG.  Aaron is sent to safety. 

At this point I feel like I am in some crazy time-warped twilight zone.  This could quite possibly be one of the most unexpected episodes of Idol since Chris Daughtry's elimination. 

We are left with Alex and Andrew for the boys and Katie and Lilly for the girls.  I predicted Andrew to get the boot, so I'm sticking by that.  Out of Katie and Lilly, it HAS to be Katie.  I mean Lilly is one of the frontrunners, right?  Then my mind starts to play tricks with me.  Why would the producers leave Lilly with Katie in the final two if she isn't getting eliminated?  You would think she would have been one of the "for-sures" that Ryan would have just sent to safety and been done with it.  Gosh... my mind is playing so many tricks with me, I'm wondering if I'm caught up in some crazy Shutter Island scenario.  Who knew Idol could play so many psychological games with me?  I'm just a fan of the show!  Leave me alone! 

Ryan brings Alex and Andrew up to the front.  I know Andrew has been a frontrunner since Hollywood Week, but he's really failed to overly impress me in the last three weeks.  I see much more potential in Alex than I do in Andrew.  Ryan gives thier recaps and AGAIN brings up the "Straight Up" performance.  Can one show go by without referring to this?  I'm so over it. 

Ryan makes the announcement.  Andrew is safe and moving on to the top 12.  My stomach turns.  I feel sick for Alex.  As Alex stands on the stage, he starts to tear up and it's breaking my heart!  He makes some reference to him messing up because he didn't have enough confidence.  I hope he doesn't go home with that attitude of blaming himself.  Alex... it was America that messed this one up.  I was really excited to see where Alex could go in this competition.  Just like Ellen said... he was a banana that was beginning to ripen.  Too bad America just threw this banana in the trash!  Errr.....

The show goes to commercial, and when we come back you see half the contestants up on stage still hugging Alex.  Alex turns and looks at the camera and his is a pile of mush.  His eyes are red from crying so hard.  Gosh America.  Really?

0 for 3.  Sheesh.

Finally its Katie and Lilly.  I mean... c'mon.  Katie's got to go.  Although I don't have anything against her, and didn't predict her to leave, when she's up against Lilly, its almost a given.  Kara makes a comment about Lilly knowing who she is but maybe not having as strong a voice, and Katie having a strong voice by not knowing who she is. 

Ryan makes the announcment... and Katie is... SAFE!  REALLY?  Seriously?  You've got to be kidding, right?  Lilly is out of the competition.  This is just insane.  Sure her "I Fall To Pieces" wasn't a #1 hit... but she had Tuesday's pimp-spot and she still didn't make it through?  This is insanity!  Lilly has been a favorite of mine since Hollywood Week... since before we even really knew her name and she was just "the girl with the white hair".  Out of the girls left, she was easily one of the most recognizeable and entertaining.  Sure her vocals may not be like Jennifer Hudson, but she was likable and unique... at least in my opinion. 

Ryan rolls the goodbye video and I am sitting on my couch in utter shock that we are actually watching Katelyn, Todrick, Alex and Lilly's highlights.  This is just insane. 

What is even harder to understand is that we are going to have a top 12 that includes people like Paige, Lacey, Tim, and Aaron??!?  These four should have fallen victim to the semi-finals eliminations.  Taking that one step further and thinking about the Idols Live Tour... this means that at least two out of those four contestants will make it on the tour!!!  And that is if we don't have yet another shocking elimination next week????  Un-flipping-believeable.  I'm already considering not even attending the tour this year.  I would have much rather seen any of tonight's eliminated contestants on tour over Paige, Lacey, Tim or Aaron. 

So I leave tonight's recap with a sense of sadness, frustration and confusion.  I don't understand how that really happened. 

0 for 4.  Sheesh.

2 comments:

  1. WTF America for sure.....It made me sick to my stomach. Lacy has no right being there and neither does Paige. I was sure they would go. It was the guys I wasn't sure of. But I never ever thought Alex would go. I so liked his sound. I loved "Trouble". I think the show is "Troubled".....They, production, either needs to start giving them all equal time as far as background time goes, or totally eliminate doing any of it on any of them. They are not the ones that are supposed to pick the winners in this. I just don't know Matt. I am as confused now as I was with Taylor Hicks !!!!! I scared Sophie half to death with all my ranting last night....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I forgot...I am so upset with the whole Simon-Kara thing. What the heck is going on with them? Can she possibly sit any closer to him or lean on him any more??? Its almost like she is affraid to sit too close to Ellen for fear some of the "gay" might rub off......Mom

    ReplyDelete