Thursday, March 4, 2010

Semi-Finals: Top 10 Girls


First of all... let me talk about how mad my DVR makes me when it doesn't tape Idol.  Errrr.... 

Luckily we realized it about 30 minutes into it and recorded the rest.  And doubley-lucikly mjsbigblog always posts the videos online.  And tripley-luckily we are the west coast so the videos were already posted when we wanted to start.  So as I am writing this, we are actually watching the first few videos online at almost the same time we would be watching them otherwise.  :-)

So Crystal is back!  Yay!  Although Ryan told us last night that she would be good enough to perform tonight, I was a bit worried.  I mean, switching the shows was pretty serious... so I thought she must have been really sick.  Surprisingly, they put her up first!  So let's get to the reviews:

Crystal Bowersox- "As Long As I See The Light":  We learn that Crystal is a twin (actually something new we didn't know yet... much more exciting than some of these boring "betcha didn't know..." facts).  As she starts to sing, I immediately feel that this song is a great fit for her.  She's got the grit to make the song work... plus she has the believability factor.  It's just a great song choice.  And can I just say, its hard to believe that this girl was in the hospital yesterday with a threat that she may not be able to perform?  FOR REAL???  I cannot tell.  Also, I'd just like to add that she really looks great.  Her first audition clips she was looking kinda rough, but the stylists have made her look softer and more appealing without losing who she really is.  I think tonight is a standout performance for her.  I love that Kara just said Crystal sang "You Oughtta Know" last week... that brings the lols.  Pay attention Kara!  Not sure if agree with Simon's comment that it was like the "Kelly Clarkson moment".... But it was good.  Definitely enough to solidify her position in the top 8 girls for next week.

Haeley Vaughn- "The Climb":  Haeley is a crafty cutey, as we learn that she makes her own headbands.  We also revisit the fact that she has a hard time not smiling.  I don't know why that's a bad thing... but it is kinda cute to watch her attempt a mean face.  :-)  Speaking of mean faces, I can tell Simon will have is mean face on after this performance.  As she starts singing, all I am thinking is that this SHOULD work, in theory... Miley kinda has a young, pop-country vibe to her... and that is exactly what Haeley is going after.  Personally, I don't think its as bad as the judges will think it is.  Sure she's not a superstar yet... but are we supposed to expect that at this stage in the show?  I was right about the judges comments.  They thought it was really bad.  Simon said EXACTLY what I just typed... that "in theory, it should have worked" (damn, I'm good...) but that it is a complete and utter mess.  The thing about this stage of the competition is that people who are memorable get voted for, and I still think she is memorable and easy to connect to... so I don't think she'll go home tomorrow.  There are still lots of girls left though, so we'll see.

Lacey Brown- "Kiss Me":  This is the exact song that Kara suggested last week.  We see that flashback clip... and I honestly think its probably a good choice.  At least picking it, they can't criticize her song choice!  :-)  Well... they will still have things to criticize because this is hurting my ears!  Anyone else feel the same?  Yikes.  I personally haven't liked much of her at all so far, and this isn't helping.  I don't know if its because some of the notes are really sharp... but it just seems like she's singing right after she has sucked on a lemon and the notes are being puckered up.  I'm not impressed.  Thankfully, neither are the judges.  Except Ellen... for some reason she's digging it.  I mean, I guess I kinda see where she's coming from because there is something likable about Lacey's style and look... but I just could NEVER see her as the winner of the show, and you've got to look at contestants in that way.

Katie Stevens- "Put Your Records On":  OK... how cute is she, really?  I love the clip of her saying "give me a kiss" in different languages.  She just has this young, adorable vibe about her that I like.  Now the song choice?  Not sure I'm digging it.  All I can think of is Megan Joy singing this song last year... so she's got some bad history behind her.  At least the only way she can move is forward!  And she does!  Personally, I think this is a good performance.  Really, she has that trained type of voice that can sing anything though.  The performance isn't good because the song is a good fit for her... its just good because she's a good, talented singer.  What she needs is a song that will 100% match her and she will blow it out of the park.  It hasn't happened, yet, but I have confidence it will.  I agree with Kara's comment that she should find a song that fits what she's going through in life.  I think if she sings about something important to her, she will make that connection and show us the true star she is.

Didi Benami- "Lean On Me": Why does it not suprise me that Didi meows backstage before performing?  LOL.  She seems like the type of girl who will grow to be one of those crazy cat ladies.  I still like her though.  "Lean On Me" is an interesting choice... I like the beginning and how she switches it up.  It's hard to take such a familiar song and make it your own without murdering it.  I REALLY like what she's done with it!  She is someone I would download her stuff right now... and I would go see her live.  I love her voice.  It's distinct.  I understand how some people may not like it... but for me, I think this is relevant and enjoyable.  Clearly I am alone.  The judges are ripping her!  WHAT?  Seriously??!?  I am honestly stumped.  Last week I thought she was great too... and for some reason the judges didn't like it.  Does she sound that dramatically different in the studio?  Kara says "it really wasn't good"?  REALLY?  Simon says she blew an awesome opportunity?  I just. don't. get. it.  Now Didi is crying!  I would be too if I just sang that good and the judges ripped me.  Hopefully the tears will score her a few more votes. 

Michelle Delamore- "With Arms Wide Open":  Michelle loves kids. And she loves God.  She she leads a children's choir at her church. That's nice.  Predictable.  But nice.  In her favor, I do have to say that she was pretty impressive last week.  She came out of obscurity (being one of the less featured contestants) to making a good mark for herself.  Can she keep the momentum going?  Not so much.  This performance is not doing it for me.  Creed is a weird choice.  I definitely commend her for picking a song we don't expect... but this just isn't the right one.  She's trying hard to change it up... but in the end it just sounds like she's trying hard.  Meh.  This probably will turn out to be two steps back for her.  Randy and Ellen don't really like it either... but then Kara says it is her favorite performance of her's ever?  OK... what show am I watching?  You just slammed Didi?  Really?  (gosh... I probably sound like the president of the Didi fan club...).  I don't get it.  Personally, I feel like Michelle could definitely be in trouble this week.

Lilly Scott- "A Change Is Gonna Come":  We find out that Lilly plays lots of instruments... including some that I don't even really know about!  Well, we can chalk that up in a long list of things that make her intresting and unique.  When hearing that this is the song she is going to sing, I am a bit worried.  It's one of those songs where it is IMPOSSIBLE to improve on the original.  There is no way to go but down.  I am really not liking this.  I feel bad because I want to like her, but this song isn't working for her.  I think she needs something a bit more melodic... as the range on this song is crazy.  Of course, in proper form for tonight's show, the judges are IN LOVE with it.  Whatevs.  I'm over tonight's judges reviews. 



Katelyn Epperly- "The Scientist":  Idol shows us clips of beautiful Katelyn sitting behind a sound board because she is supposedly studying to be a recording engineer.  Yeah right...  The only time this girl will be mixing stuff is if the techie doesn't show up to a gig and she's gotta set the levels herself during sound check.  I was set on being a Katelyn hater before last week's performance... then she kinds turned me around with "Oh Darlin'".  I hope she can impress me again tonight.  Coldplay is unexpected choice.  I like that she is giving the piano a try.  OK... halfway through this performance and I am IN LOVE.  I think this is amazing and completely unexpected.  She has me in the palm of her hand with this dramatic song.  I think this is proving that there is more from Katelyn that what we may have originally bargained for.  Randy digs the piano.  Then Ellen says she didn't like it because it was too slow and she was falling asleep???!?  Ellen!  C'mon, really?  Sure the song was slow, but she had me hanging on every word.  Now Kara doesn't like it either.  WHAT GIVES?  At least Simon says it was an improvement... even though she says she looks corny.  Personally, I loved this.  This is the type of performance I vote for.

Paige Miles- "Walk Away":  Gotta love a girl who loves taking it old school with a coloring book and set of crayolas!  :-)  She does have a colorful personality to match as well.  I'm honestly suprised she survived last week.  At least she has a better spot (towards the end of the show) this week... so it may bode well for her if she rocks it.  "Walk Away" is a great Kelly tune.  One that is fun and poppy, yet with a bit of rock grit.  Paige is doing pretty well with this actually.  It's a little karaoke for me... Really good karaoke though.  Some of the notes were off... and one of the runs was really too ambitious, but overall its not anywhere near horrible.  Randy likes it, and Ellen likes that she changed it a bit.  Then we find out Kara originally wrote the song... whoopdee doo.  I do have to agree with Kara that the song is meant to have a little more angst and she did sing it pretty happily.  Not really the vibe intended.  I'm wondering if this is enough to keep her aroudn though.  I doubt she'll make top 12... its just a matter of if she will leave this week or next. 

Siobhan Magnus- "Think":  We learn at Shavon (sorry.. thats the way I'm going to spell it) used to have a mowhawk.  Not really surprising.  In fact, I kinda wish she still had it.  Might make me like her a little more.  Right now she's just annoying to me.  "Think" is a huge song!  I find it hard she will pull this off.  She doesn't do as bad as she could have... but there were DEFINITELY some sour notes in there.  Especially that first high note she went for.  Ouch.  The long note was pretty impressive though.  For some reason, people like this girl, so I'm sure she'll stay... but she's nothing I would download or buy a ticket for.  The judges rave (of course... unsurprising at this point).  At least Simon keeps it real by saying she's talented but there were parts of the song that were terrible.  It's the truth!


My personal ranking for the week:
1. Katelyn Epperly
2. Didi Benami
3. Crystal Bowersox
4. Katie Stevens
5. Paige Miles
6. Lilly Scott
7. Siobhan Magnus
8. Michelle Delamore
9. Haeley Vaughn
10. Lacey Brown

And for my predictions:  Many people will probably call for Haeley to go home this week, but I think she at least has another week in her.  I think she's too likable with too much backstory.  I would be surprised if Lacey doesn't go home this week.  To me, she has got to go.   For the second prediction, its a toss-up between Paige and Michelle.  I think Paige had a much better performance this week, but I'm trying to determine who will bring in the votes.  Tough... but tonight, I think the two eliminated girls will be Lacey Brown and Michelle Delamor.

No comments:

Post a Comment