Friday, March 6, 2009

Semi-Finals: Group 2 Performances

Alright... so its literally less than one hour before the east coast show starts! So I better get this recap in and done. :-)

I (unfortunately) have to say, that AGAIN I was underwhelmed. I'm yet to be blown away by more than one person per show. And that is sad. I really hate things that are predictable... but this season is starting to get super predictable (Danny & Adam CLEARLY will make it towards the end). But anyway... here is my contestant-by-contestant recap!

1. Jasmine Murray- "Love Song": Was anyone else confused by her angry facial expressions? I mean, "Love Song" is the type of tune that you can't help but smile and have your head bop side to side... and she was trying to make it some hard, edgy tune. She would have done herself a huge favor by just singing and R&B song. There are plenty of good R&B songs where she could have shown her attitude. I was sad about it though... because I really thought she had potential. She definitely has a memorable look to her.

2. Matt Giraud- "Viva La Vida": Matt, Matt, MATT! What was UP with that song choice? I LOVE this guy... not only because he is from Kalamazoo, MI, but because I really think he has a cool vibe and an awesome voice. That song has NO hook to it at all. There's no long-held notes.... its just a bunch of confusing lyrics (mind you, I do appreciate the production of the Coldplay version). Just a wrong song choice. I feel strongly that if he doesn't make it (which he more than likely won't...) that the judges will being him back for Wild Card.

3. Jeanine Vales- "This Love": The only thing I really give her any credit for is standing up there and keeping a smile on her face while the judges RIPPED her. Other than that... I agree with them. :-)

4. Nick Mitchell/Norman Gentle- "And I Am Telling You": OK... so hate me. I actually kind of like him! For the pure fact that he is ENTERTAINMENT. I laugh when he's up there. Maybe its because I've been lip syncing at the Riverfest for 18 years, and I know what its like to get on stage and do something just to entertain people and make them laugh... even if its not who you are on a daily basis. He's entertainment. Will he win Idol? HECK NO.... But I'll be the first to say, that I wouldn't mind him making it through to the next round just to see what funny antics he has up his sleeve next.

5. Alison Iraheta- "Alone": OK. She can sing (belty notes at least). And sure compared to who came before her she was the best. And... she'll probably make it though as the girl representative. But here's my deal with her. I am a long standing Idol fan, and there are certain songs that have been performed in the past by contestants that you just don't touch (i.e. "Summertime" will never be as good as Fantasia... or "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" will never be as good as Clay...). For me... you don't touch "Alone" after Carrie Underwood sang it her season, and (as Randy would say) BLEW IT OUT THE BOX! That is a Carrie song. She even copied Carrie's riffs and styling of the song (trust me, I've heard it hundreds of times because I have it on my iPod). I just don't like a copycat... and she totally copied Carrie. But....... She'll probably make it though.

6. Kris Allen- "Man In the Mirror": I give him credit. For being a virtual unknown to this point, I thought he did pretty well. He's going to fall into the Ricky Braddy category for me though, because although he's a good vocalist, he won't be memorable enough as an entertainer to make it to the next round.

7. Megan Jo Corkery- "Put Your Records On": I actually really like her style and voice... and I think because of her unique singing style she would have a hard time bringing it to a traditional pop tune. Her song choice was pretty decent, but still didn't lend itself well to the traditional 20's jazz feel that she has. I'd really like to see her come out with her own stuff though, instead of being forced to sing someone else's songs. Other than that... she's got the look, the memorability, and the personality.

8. Matt Breitzke- "If You Could Only See": Matt.... if you could only see how you blew your chance with that BORING song choice. Anyone can sing this song... heck... I can sing this song! It has a range of about six notes. It's definitely not memorable. As Simon said, Matt's a nice guy, but he's not going to make it any further.

9. Jesse Langseth- "Bette Davis Eyes": OK... I was a hater against her because she beat out Frankie Jordan in the sing off at the judge's final selection. BUT... tonight she totally reversed my feelings on her. Besides Adam, she was my favorite performance of the night, because she PICKED THE RIGHT SONG for herself! It was probably the best, most-fitting song choice of anyone that's sang in the first two weeks. It fit her style of singing... it fit her personality... and she could sing it really well. Heck, she even kinda has a Bette Davis look about her.... so it was even fitting there! Unfortunately, I don't think most of America would see it the way I do so she probably won't get many votes. But I think she should be proud in knowing that she did about all she could have done to give herself the proper chance of making it through. It's hard when you're competing against caricatures (see: Adam) and heart-wrenching stories (see: Danny) to make it through in this format of selection. I think she gets an A+ for effort.

10. Kai Kalama- "What Becomes Of the Broken Hearted": He does have some oddly-weird sex appeal to him... I think older women will like him. But there was some weird body movement when he was singing this song tonight. I didn't get that. Even though we know he'll appeal to the older crowd, I'm not sure he should have picked a song that you only hear when you're in the waiting room at the dentist. Kinda boring. I like him as a person... but he could have done better.

11. Mishovana Barton- "Drops of Jupiter": The first three lines of the song were AMAZING and I perked up thinking that she could actually do really well this Train song (although still and awkward song choice...). But somewhere in the middle she lost it for me. I am confident that she is an excellent vocalist, just perplexed by the song choice. I think she had the potential to give us "a moment" for last nights show, but just failed to deliever.

12. Adam Lambert- "Satisfaction": What's more to say other than... He's gonna make it! You know for sure he is! I really like him and this his voice and range is amazing... but of course, because I like to root for the underdog, and the unpredictable, I have to find a flaw in him. Here's my only problem with Adam. Does anybody else feel like his image is too forced and put-on? The hair, the makeup, the outfits... I feel like he's not truly being himself. Especially because his backstory talks about how he used to be in musical theater... so you know he was a goody-two shoes, preppy kid. But he's smart. He knows that look is in now... and that all the girls will call for him. So this image that Randy called "Fall Out Boy/Twilight/My Chemical Romance", is just that: an image.

Who WILL make it: Adam, Allison, and (can't believe I'm saying it...) Nick

Who SHOULD make it: Adam, Jesse and Megan

Should be invited back for Wild Card: Matt G., Jasmine, Kai & Mischovana

No comments:

Post a Comment