Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Grand Ole Opry Week: Top 11 Performances

So.... It's Grand Ole Opry Week.... and even though I took the time to suggest songs using the list I found on votefortheworst.com, it was obvious that it wasn't the only songs the contestants had to choose from. Oh well... I still think the songs I picked would have been better than some of them they did choose.

This week is always an important one because it determines which 10 contestants get to go on the American Idol Tour this summer. As a 6 year tour veteran, I look forward to going each year (although after last summer's debacle, I wasn't sure if I would ever want to go again....) Several of this season's contestants excite me though, and I really think I would like to go to the tour this year. There are a few people I really don't care for, so if it were up to me, they would go home this week so I wouldn't have to sit through them at the concert. Well let's get to the performances!



1. Michael Sarver- "Ain't Goin' Down Til The Sun Comes Up"
For you Idol veterans, you may remember that Josh Gracin sang this song during Season Two. He really took that song and owned it. Michael on the other hand... well... I tend to agree with the judges. It wasn't that great. He was doing pretty well until the key change and he lost it in the last 2/3rds of the song for me. Plus... I still have a hard time watching him sing. He just looks goofy to me. AND.... where did this southern accent come from in his speaking voice? I really thought in weeks past that he was trying hard NOT to be country, and all of a sudden now he's struttin' the streets of Nashville in his cowboy boots. Not diggin' it


2. Allison Iraheta- "Blame It On Your Heart"
I really like the original version of this song by Patty Loveless. And as most of you know, I really DON'T like Allison. I do have to say that this could have been a whole lot worse. It still wasn't great for me. This song is all about the chorus that starts high and goes down low.... and she had a hard time with those low notes. They were really sharp. She did look cute tonight though... the stylist did a great job. And.... I have to say that her annoying personality was less annoying this week. So maybe she's gained a couple points... but I'm definitely not calling to vote for her anytime soon.


3. Kris Allen- "To Make You Feel My Love"
No guitar on a song like this? At first I thought it was a mistake.... but his vocals were actually very spot on, and it may have been a good chance for him to showcase his vocal only without having the safety net. Let's be real for one second though: that song isn't too hard to sing. There isn't a lot of range to it. He did add the high note at the end, and hit it well.... I agree with Paula when she said it was a smart choice for him. And when you sing the lyric "I can offer you a warm embrace"... you know the 14 year old girls are gonna call for him. With this performance, he'll make it to the Top 10 for sure.


4. Lil "Little" (LOL @ Simon) Rounds- "Independence Day"
First of all... way to flunk the interivew portion of the evening... "we spend a few time together" and then talk about how you're together all the time? Lil isn't the smartest cookie in the bunch is she? OK... on to the performance. This is a BIG song... and one that Carrie Underwood owned when she sang it season four. Do I think Lil owned it? No. She did well... yes. But it was kinda odd for me. Not sure that there are many country songs out there would have been a good fit (except for the songs I picked for her in my previous post, "Why Haven't I Heard From You?" for example). I am glad she stood her ground about her song choice when the judges challenged her though. She could have picked "I Will Always Love You" or "How Do I Live" but that would have been a cop out if you ask me.

5. Adam Lambert- "Ring of Fire"
Ummm.... OK. We're gonna have to come back to this. I can't digest what I just saw at the moment.

6. Scott MacIntyre- "Wild Angels"
I agree with Randy Travis... that when I heard he was singing this song, I immediately cringed. I wanted Scott to prove me wrong.... but unfortunately he didn't. I think this song choice was super awkward. He missed several of the notes. And when it went uptempo it all went downhill. He could have picked several other songs that I think could have showcased him better. I agree with Kara... he needs to "up his game".

7. Alexis Grace- "Jolene"
I have always loved this song. It's been redone by many people in many different styles. Alexis defintiely did an adequate job with this song. She didn't make it a superstar performance... but it was pretty good. I liked the rolled-back, demure performance of the song. There were several pitch problems throughout. Simon is right when he said that people will forget about the performance. I think she'll still make it through though. And thankfully she'll be back to "dirty it up".

8. Danny Gokey- "Jesus, Take The Wheel"
I had a feeling that with his gospel background that Danny would sign a religious song. I really don't think was the best choice for him. Especially considering that this is a Carrie song, and so many Idol viewers will so closely relate this song to her. People are used to hearing this song from a female voice. The first half of the song was.... well... pretty horrible. Many off key notes, and just didn't fit him as a singer at all. When he was able to start belting, the performance got better, but I still didn't like it. This is the first time that I thought to myself that Danny might not be the front-runner that everyone thinks he is. I think Paula was (not-surprisingly) drunk when she said this was brilliant. Carrie Underwood would not go out and buy that. She's probably sick of that song anyway, as many times as she's had to sing it.

9. Anoop Desai- "You're Always On My Mind"
You cannot deny that Anoop has a smooth, pure voice. This song choice was a great for him. Of course we like "My Perrogative" Anoop.... but this gentler Anoop is also good. He really could do well singing ballads on pop/adult-contemporary radio. He's talented. I agree with Randy that the arrangement of the song was really good. Anoop needed this. He was starting to worry me, but Anoop Dogg is back!

10. Megan Joy Corkery- "Walkin' After Midnight"
YAY! She actually picked the song I suggested for her in my previous post!!! That makes me feel like the post was actually worth writing. :-) She looked AMAZING.... not sure about the dress, but the hair and makeup were great. So the performance: SO WEIRD to me. Parts of it were SO good and parts of it were SO bad! But, she's just so stinkin' cute and unique that I can't hate it. Last week she had some well placed "caws" and this week she had some well placed "coughs". I think the coughing will help her cause, with America having some pity on her. For me, when it comes to making it to the Top 10 and the tour, I hope that she makes it.

11. Matt Giraud- "So Small"
Another Carrie song by a guy? Will it be awkward like Danny's version? NO. Matt made this song his own! He also took a suggestion of mine from my previous post that he should sing just him and the piano. He did that through the first half of the song, and I think it really showcased what Matt is all about: quality piano and quality vocals. I agree with Simon that he outsang Danny this week. Matt really did well, and I'm so happy for him!

OK... back to Adam. Thanks for letting me take that break to figure out what was going on in my head. Sheesh. OK, so its country week and the only country I got out of that was the country of India... lol. BUT... what was to be expected of him? Really? You knew he was going to do something out of the ordinary. There was no way he was going to put on a 10 gallon hat and imitate some Alan Jackson. I can sum up this performance in one word: "memorable". Whether you remember it for being mind-blowingly awesome... or remember it for hating every second of it... people will remember this. Now, I understand why some people would not like it.... but personally, it rocked my socks off. He keeps this competition interesting, and he makes me want to vote for him so that I can hear what he comes up with next week. The performance definitely had a theatrical vibe to it... its definitely not something you're gonna hear on the radio. Honestly though, it reminded me of a pop star on tour who mixes up their own songs and rearranges them for a "scene" in a concert. If he's able to pull things like this off now, who knows where he'll be once he has a real music career and is on tour doing his own stuff. Thank you Adam. :-)


My ranking for the night:
1. Matt Giraud
2. Adam Lambert
3. Anoop Desai
4. Kris Allen
5. Megan Jo Corkery
6. Danny Gokey
7. Lil Rounds
8. Alexis Grace
9. Allison Iraheta
10. Scott MacIntyre
11. Michael Sarver


OK... so I feel extra pressure to correctly predict who will go home, because last week i was spot on with Jasmine & Jorge. This week's pick could get me on a good streak!


Who do I think SHOULD be in the bottom three?
Michael, Alexis & Scott


Who do I think WILL be in the bottom three?
Michael, Megan & Alexis


I really am having a struggle with this folks. I think its going to be either Michael or Alexis, but I can't choose just one. I will pick one before the results show airs tomorrow.... but I definitely need some more time to think about this one. :-) Maybe if I sleep on it and watch both performances back tomorrow.


What are your thoughts? Please comment!

11 comments:

  1. I didn't catch Michael's performance, so I don't know who should be sent home... but I have to agree with you on Adam's performance! It was probably more dramatic than it had to be, but at least it was creative. And then Simon calls it "indulgent" - when isn't pop music indulgent? That's the point!
    Poor, awkward, Randy Travis LOL

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Adam's version of Ring of Fire. I have not seen anything that gutsy since Blake's beat box of Bon Jovi. I LOVED IT!!! I still love Alexis Grace and I just have to say that Megan totally irritated me. I know she was sick, but that was just an outright abomonation of that song. She has bluesy talent and wrecked that song for me. Just for that she should go home. She ruined the song. I almost felt like she was making fun of it.

    Feeling Strongly, Charlotte : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shane's take on the Top 11:

    Matthew, I hate that you like Adam so much. Ugh, he makes me want to vomit and based on this week's performance, it would probably taste like curry!

    Moving on, Matt Giraud has been my favorite two weeks in a row now. If I had to choose at this moment, he would be my choice for AI8, although that isn't saying much because I don't really like this group.

    Megan, megan, megan. I don't know if she can sing or not and it doesn't even matter to me. She entertains the heck out of me because she is a cuckoo head. My favorite part last night was when she said "GIRLS! WOOT WOOT!" and raised her hands in the air. It wasn't as good as the CAW CAW but it still made me laugh.

    Except for good performances from Kris and Anoop, everyone else was boring and not worth mentioning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was pretty bored with AI last night... I only really enjoyed Kris, Anoop, and Matt.

    Megan did a good job too, but I don't like her quite as much as you do Matt!

    Alexis sang one of my all time favorite Dolly Parton songs but I don't know if it was my favorite version.

    Adam could have done the same song with a rock tone to it instead of the Indian theme, he was just trying to really stand out and show off. I thought it was pretty horrible, but I know he'll make it through tonight because he is Adam!

    I loved your suggestion that Danny should have sang "When I Get Where I'm Going" by Brad Paisley. It would have been so fitting for him and boosted up his rating with America as well.

    So my attitude towards this show... whatever. No one was really a knock out or made me want to vote them the next American Idol right then and there. I think Michael will go home tonight, that is my prediction. As always, thanks for sharing Matt!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt, I couldn't wait to see what you posted about Adam! I'm not a fan of the version, but he totally rocked it.

    I don't like Megan. At all. Go home Megan. She lost me at "caw, caw".

    I think Michael will go tonight, but I'd be happier if it was Megan.

    Classic moment? Randy Travis and Adam's nail polish. This isn't 1954, Randy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I somewhat agree with you. I think Michael will go home this week. However I wish it was Megan going home. She is cute BUT she can not sing. You know I don't realy care for Randy Travis so his opinion didn't mean anything to me. Now about Adam......WEIRD!!!!! I thought Matt G. was great and missed Without a Trace so I could spend the hour voting for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Adam's strange performance! He kicked butt, and if those judges don't know, they btter recognize! I think Matt G. did wonderful singing Carrie's "So Small." I absolutely did not like Little Rounds, I don't even like her name. I don't like how she tried sing a song that a previous Idol winner perfected. She is just not exciting and I don't think she should be in the competition. I can't say whether Matt did better than Danny, but I like Danny too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Michael or Scott should go. --Emilie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought that Allison was borderline corny, Adam was AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! And that Lil and Alexis weren't true to themselves at all. I absolutely loved Kris and Danny.
    Honestly the only person I didn't agree with the judges was Anoop- I thought his performance was boring. I guess its because I've never really liked him, but seriously- boring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh and you could definetly tell Megan was sick. I wasn't crazy about that performance at all. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Matt, I have to disagree with you about Lil's performance. That song is about abuse. She was HAPPY (or seemed it) while she was singing it. She really should have slowed it down or something. I liked her until this week. I loved Adam's though, and I LOVE country so I wasn't sure I would!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete