Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Grand Ole Opry Week: Top 11 Results

I feel like I have so much to say about tonight's episode! Sheesh!!! I wish I would have been writing this throughout the episode because I know I'm going to miss some things. Let's do a quick preview. In this post:

---Lip syncing = infuriating
---Carrie = flawless
---My elimination prediction = correct!

Let's start with the group performance tonight. I don't think I have ever been more furious watching an American Idol episode than I was tonight. Lip syncing??? And so obviously??? Dammit Idol... what are you doing?!?! So I understand the usage of backing tracks and all that jazz, but I honestly don't think one of them was singing, not even over the track. Sure it was a difficult song to sing with very fast lyrics. And many of them I'm sure didn't know the lyrics (if they've ever even heard of Travis Tritt before). But if that's the case then pick another song that they can actually sing and learn in a few days. That was just horrible. And if you're going to lip sync... then hire me to put the Idols through The Matt Eickhoff School of Lip Syncing. Crimeny! They couldn't even lip sync the damn song. Allison (as if I needed more reasons to be irritated by her) was blatantly using the "watermelon, watermelon, watermelon" method of lip syncing when the camera did a CLOSE UP on her. Dang. I'm still hot about this. I think the thing that pisses me off the most is that the judges always use the judgement and reasoning that this "is a singing competition". Well if its a singing competition... then FRICKIN' SING DAMMIT!

*ok... I'll get off my soapbox now....*

After that rant, what can soothe my wounded heart? Well Carrie Underwood of course. Let's be real... is there anything that this girl touches that doesn't turn to gold? She is just awesome. I guess if I had one complaint it would be the giant spider she had chillin in her golden locks. What was that hairpiece? Seriously? It was like a recycled piece from the "Just A Dream" video... and she wore it with a dress she got off the clearance rack at Charlotte Russe. Other than the apparel tonight, Carrie was just amazing. Her voice is so pure and PITCH PERFECT, it is almost scary. Carrie really is what American Idol is all about. I've been listening to a lot of Carrie lately (both of her CD's) and if you haven't heard the album cuts (non-radio-singles) you really should give them an ear. Every song she touches showcases her so well. Was I crazy about this "I Told You So" song? Not really.... but anytime I get to hear Carrie live is always well-recieved.

Brad Paisley: I like you singing funny songs. You were a victim of DVR fast-forwarding.

OK, so on to the elimination. Can I just say... BINGO! I was SPOT ON again! :-) I know I didn't pick one... I said it was close between Alexis and Michael... but I consider it a win when both of them were in the final two. I honestly thought of picking Alexis as the one to go, but I didn't want the wrath of Charlotte Tetsworth on me (she's a big fan and one of my dear friends). It was not surprising really.
And Alexis should have known she wouldn't last long. Let's look historically into Idol's past:

Vanessa Olivarez- Season 2

Amy Adams- Season 3

Gina Glocksen- Season 6

Idol Finalists with pink streaks in thier hair never make it very far in this competition. I know she added the pink to her hair to "dirty herself up" after what the judges told her at her audition.... but maybe she should have stayed away from the curse.
(Allison... you could be next!)

I do have to say that it was pretty mean of Ryan to let Michael think he was safe, and then make him part of the bottom three. What an emotional rollercoaster that must be. We are 8 seasons in and I know that these antics are now a part of the show.... but even I think that trick was pretty mean.

I was SOOOO happy to see Allison in the bottom three! Although it wasn't in my prediction, it makes me think that America might actually agree with me that she's not all that special. And what I said in regards to Tuesday's show that she wasn't annoying me very much??? I take it back after this results show. She still annoys me.

So.... we've got a top 10 for the tour! Three girls and SEVEN guys! Wow. This is definitely a guys year. Lil is good, but she doesn't really excite me anymore. Allison... well you all know how I feel about her. And Megan? Well I love her, but there is no way she's making it Top 5 without some miracle.

Next week is Mowtown. Lil & Anoop are thanking their lucky stars!!! I am sure they will do well. Matt will excel again too with his bluesy, R&B sound. I can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. I love you too Matt. And I will read your blog, but I am truly still very upset about Megan going on and Alexis leaving. Something sets me on edge with her and my radar is pretty good...one day we will read about her in the tabloids I am SURE of it. Now that my girl is gone, I am so going for Adam cuz I love his guts! I guess I have sour grapes as this is the first time in 3 years that I did NOT pick the idol winner from the very first auditions. I guess I just don't like to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt - great commentary and I agree with you. I wonder if they let them lip sync because of Megan's illness? I totally agree with you - if they aren't going to learn the song then at least learn how to LIP SYNC!!

    Carrie was great, but why did Randy Travis not sing more of HIS song?

    I wasn't a big fan of Alexsis - she was good, but not GREAT. I really wasn't surprised that she went home.

    I don't think Michael will go much farther. He just isn't as good as some of the other guys. I also don't think that Scott will go much farther either.

    I watched Michael sing on Tuesday and I think it's his lips that bug me. He doesn't move them when he sings. He has a very odd way of singing and his stage "presence" still isn't very strong. It's like he doesn't know what to do with himself.

    Looking forward to your posts next week!!

    Kim Erickson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess now I'm glad that I was doing computer homework while the group song was on... lip syncing on live television annoys the crap outta me ever since the whole Ashlee Simpson fiasco. She's proof that if you're going to lip sync, you will be caught, it will most likely ruin you, and it should never, EVER be tried by anyone else under the same circumstances or you will be punished!!!
    We are lip syncing opinion soul mates Matt :)

    ReplyDelete