Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Top 11 Preview: Grand Ole Opry Week

So tonight is country night for the 11 Idols left in the competition. Country seems to happen every season now... which I don't necessarily have a problem with, but it just seems very "niche-y" for some people who may not fit the genre. I just hope that some of the questionable contestants find a way to make the song their own.

Not only is it country week, but specifically "Grand Ole Opry" week, which means that the contestants can ony sing songs by performers who are "members" of the Opry. Although it does narrow down the list of possibilities, there are many options left, including Idol's own alum Carrie Underwood.

I found on another Idol blog, they posted the song list for this week. These are the songs the Idol's had to choose from (supposedly....). I'm going to make some recommendations, and I'd love to hear yours too!

POSSIBLE SONGS:
Alan Jackson - Don't Rock the Jukebox
Alan Jackson - Summertime Blues
Alan Jackson - Chattahoochee
Alison Krauss - When You Say Nothing Ar All
Alison Krauss - Baby Now That I've Found You
Barbara Mandrell - If Loving You Is Wrong I Don't Want to Be Right
Brad Paisley - Celebrity
Brad Paisley - Mud on the Tires
Brad Paisley - When I Get Where I'm Going
Carrie Underwood - Jesus Take the Wheel
Carrie Underwood - Before He Cheats
Carrie Underwood - Wasted
Carrie Underwood - So Small
Carrie Underwood - All-American Girl
Carrie Underwood - Last Name
Diamond Rio - Beautiful Mess
Dierks Bentley - What Was Thinkin
Dierks Bentley - Come A Little Closer
Dierks Bentley - Every Mile a Memory
Dierks Bentley - Feel That Fire
Dolly Parton - Jolene
Dolly Patron - I Will Always Love You
Dolly Parton - Here You Come Again
Dolly Parton - 9 to 5
Dolly Parton - Why'd You Come In Here Lookin' Like That
Garth Brooks - Friends in Low Places
Garth Brooks - The Dance
Garth Brooks - Shameless
Garth Brooks - More Than a Memory
George Jones - She Thinks I Still Care
George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today
Hank Williams - I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues
Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire
Johnny Cash - I Walk the Line
Josh Turner - Your Man
Josh Turner - Would You Go With Me
Josh Turner - Firecracker
Lorrie Morgan - Watch Me
Martina McBride - Wild Angels
Martina McBride - A Broken Wing
Martina McBride - Anyway
Pam Tillis - Cleopatra, Queen of Denial
Pam Tillis - Maybe It Was Memphis
Patsy Cline - Walkin' After Midnight
Patsy Cline - I Fall to Pieces
Patsy Cline - Crazy
Patty Loveless - Blame On Your Heart
Randy Travis - Forever And Ever Amen
Reba McEntire - Fancy
Reba McEntire - Why Haven't I Heard From You
Ronnie Milsap - It Was Almost Like a Song
Tammy Wynette - Stand By Your Man
Terri Clark - Poor Poor Pitiful Me
Trace Adkins - Honky Tonk Badonkadonk
Trace Adkins - You're Gonna Miss This
Travis Tritt - I'm Gonna Be Somebody
Travis Tritt - T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Travis Tritt - Tell Me I was Dreaming
Travis Tritt - It's a Great Day To Be Alive
Trisha Yearwood - She's In Love With The Boy
Trisha Yearwood - Walkaway Joe
Trisha Yearwood - How Do I Live
Vince Gill - I Still Believe In You


My suggestions:

Lil Rounds: "Why Haven't I Heard From You" by Reba or "Last Name"/"Before He Cheats" by Carrie
I think Lil did well with the uptempo Michael number last week, and I think she would do herself a favor by singing an uptempo song with attitude this week. Let's be real about Reba and Carrie... they can ROCK IT OUT when needed, and these songs would allow Lil to do the same.

Alison Iraheta: "Maybe It Was Memphis" by Pam Tillis
This was one of the songs that as soon as I saw it on the list, I immediately thought of Alison. Although I really don't care for her, I could see this song being a good fit. She could "rock it up" a bit and show off her raspy, rockish voice with this song.

Scott MacIntyre: "It's A Great Day To Be Alive" by Travis Tritt
In Scott fashion, I think he'll choose an inspriational, feel-good-about-life song... and this is the best fit for that. I think it could really go well with piano accompaniment as well. Too bad there wasn't a Phil Vassar song on the list... because that would be a GREAT fit for Scott.

Megan Joy Corkery: Any of the Patsy Cline songs, preferably "Walkin' After Midnight"
I really think this could be a week to shine for Megan. After her memorable caw-caw last week, I can't help but like her a bit... and I actually really think she has a unique tone to her voice. That tone will definitely lend itself well to a Patsy Cline song. Her voice is vulnerable, just like Patsy's. After the upbeat Rockin' Robin that Simon hated, I think she would do herself a service by picking a slower tempo song and show off her range.

Kris Allen: "Firecracker" by Josh Turner
So we know Kris has the cutesy, acoustic vibe going for him, and I think he could do well with this song while playing the guitar. He has to know that his voting cohort is mostly young girls who think he's cute (as my mom has pointed out to me on several occasions) so I think singing Firecracker would appeal to those girls who will feel Kris is singing the song right to them. But I have a warning for Kris: Josh Turner has MAD vocal range and hits very low and very high notes... he better be ready to take on that range if he chooses Josh Turner.

Alexis Grace: "Stand By Your Man" by Tammy Wynette
When thinking about this song... and thinking of Alexis... I just think this could be a really good fit. Alexis is another contestant that I really think could have a standout performance tonight. She has a vocal tone that will lend itself well to country, and she kinda has a back-woods, down-home thing about her.

Michael Sarver: "Celebrity" by Brad Paisley, "What Was I Thinkin'" by Dierks Bentley, or "Don't Rock The Jukebox" by Alan Jackson
Michael definitely had a country-ish feel to him as well... and I'm not sure why he hasn't tapped into that yet. If he marketed himself as a country singer, I think he could do well in that market. I already see Randy saying "This is the type of music you should be singing all the time dawg!". I think after last week's slow song, he could do well and appeal to country music listeners by doing an uptempo song like the ones I've suggested.

Anoop Desai: (no suggestions)
Uh-oh Anoop... You really needed a week where you could make up for last week's "Beat It" and unfortuantely country music won't be your week, in my opinion. You needed a Mowtown week or something. Anoop could pull out a surprising performance here... but I have a feeling he will struggle. The only song from this list that remotely fits would be "I Still Believe In You" because I think he could put some soul in that slow song... but then he suffers from the same thing that happened when he sang "Angel of Mine". I'm stumped with Anoop. All I know is: God help us all if he tries to sing a Johnny Cash song...

Adam Lambert: "When You Say Nothing At All" by Allison Krauss
Although I think it would be hilarious to see him sing Dolly's "9 to 5", I think Adam will go for a song that will allow him to show off his range, instead of a song where he can blast out a performance like he did last week. I honestly feel like Adam could OWN this song. He could add his riffs and vocal inflection and really make a huge impression. He could also pick a different song off this list and bomb. We'll see....

Danny Gokey: "When I Get Where I'm Going" by Brad Paisley
What will the chosen one do this week? Well... after his attempt and dancing to an upbeat number this week, I think he'll go for a slower tune this week. I think "When I Get Where I'm Going" would tie him to his gospel roots, and it would also bring out the emotion of his wife without being too obvious about it. It's time for Danny to sing something that plays up his storyline. Country songs are all about telling stories, so I think this week will be it.

Matt Giraud: Either "The Dance" or "Shameless" by Garth Brooks
First of all... is it bad that I am one of Matt's biggest fans with him being from Kalamazoo and all... yet he was the one Idol I couldn't remember when making this list? Yikes... I hope is lack of memorability doesn't effect him. I think that Matt could really "soul-up" one of these Garth songs, especially "The Dance". First of all, it is a GREAT song... and one that probably many of the young viewers of American Idol don't know well, so he could easily "make it his own". I think taking "The Dance", stripping it down to vocals and piano ONLY (no background accompaniment) Matt could really make an impact.


Your thoughts? Please feel free to click below and comment! After tonight's performances I will also do a review of the show! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment